halfway point

hello all,

i'm currently in alaska. laying in a hammock listening to old pine by ben howard & getting eaten alive by mosquitos. it's 9pm and the sun is beginning to set over the snow capped mountains. there's a slight breeze and the air is crisp and fresh. today i took a nap on a dock down at auke lake and i dipped my toes in the cold water as i watched an eagle soar above me. life is good. i feel alive here. it's easier to breathe and to think. i only have 4 weeks left.


updates:

-- Job
i work for juneau tours/juneau whale watch. i'm a dock representative, so i'm in charge of getting large groups of antsy tourists on the correct bus at the correct time to the correct place before any of them start to get cranky. i've translated for people in spanish, been cussed at, shoved against a bus, dealt with crying customers, & i've had the pleasure of meeting tourists from all over the world. i've met mizzou grads, sorority sisters, natives, australians who just want to go to walmart for the "fun atmosphere", and have been blessed with amazing coworkers. the job is stressful but high paced and fun. i get to use a radio (walkie talkie) and i get fun perks, like free whale watching tours. i'm incredibly thankful for the relationships i've made through this job & the daily encouragement i receive from my coworkers. i'm grateful that Jesus' love is poured out daily into my life & that i truly can do all things through Him.

-- Project
the community here is amazing. my small group challenges me and pushes me outside my comfort zone. continually being pointed towards Christ is something that i've never experienced before. i've experienced true joy here and i've found that i really enjoy kickball. i hiked nearly 8 miles to the mendenhall glacier ice, hiked to the tram of mt roberts, experienced high tide, discovered my love for rock climbing, rediscovered my love for spanish, and have developed incredible relationships with people from all over the united states. the fireworks for 4th of july were amazing, i jumped in a 39 degree lake, i'm sad that staff left, and i'm now a coleader for the community team. too much has happened to write it all down!

i've learned a lot about myself and about life and about others while i've been here. it's amazing how God works into every little detail of our lives. whether it be by blessing us with His awe worthy creation, or by our spiritual gifts. i'm just constantly being amazed and surprised by Him. i cannot express my thanks for all who supported me and helped me get here. juneau is absolutely amazing and i know that this is truly where God wants me to be this summer.

i promise to post pictures later -
-- Shelby








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All I Have is Christ

a update to my last blog

trees will clap